Reply To: Lanigan, Callan, county Kilkenny

Bob Frewen
Participant

Mary,
Thanks for the response and info.
I’ve done very little detailed research on this family – not high on my research list as it is not in my direct line. The naming patterns of the Kilkenny and Tipperary families are very similar hence my curiosity on pre-1800 origins.
The children of Thomas & Mary (nee Dalton) were Patrick, William, Mary, Michael, William, Margaret and Bridget. I have scant information on them. Bishop William was the second child of that name. I’ve been told that the family was in Lisdaleen pre-1800, which seems correct as Thomas is there in the Tithe Applotment books. However, (unless I’m missing something) they do not appear in Griffiths. I have not gone the wills route, but am aware that several possessions of the bishop were sent home to Ireland. My connection is marital, via a descent of Michael, (married Anne Healy) brother of the bishop. He got a rather florid encomium ‘Deoth of Bishop Lanigan’s Brother’ in the Irish Catholic (Dublin), of Nov. 18, 1893.
Bob

CONTACT US

We're not around right now. But you can send us an email and we'll get back to you, asap.

Sending

©2020 Irish Genealogical research Society Created by Smiling Spiders

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account