Reply To: Empson of Kilkenny

mary casteleyn
Participant

Ruth
I have had a good root around in my Kilkenny stuff but have not found much else useful to you. There are seven pages for the article and I will send them to you as attachments via email. You probably know this already but Captain Thomas Evans was granted 1653 by Cromwell the lands of Kilcreen, parish of St Patrick, Kilkenny (from Irish papist David Roth) and also the lands in Durrow parish of Cahir/Cagher (formerly belonging to Keallagh McSahne Fitzpatrick) and Newtown and Raheenbrannagh (formerly belonging to Lord Baron of Upper Ossory).
Apologies if you have this but there are two relevant Evans in Alumni Dublinenses – George Evans entered 1733 aged 18 son of Edward, Coriarius, born Kilkenny, MA Vern 1740/41. And William Evans, entered 1676 aged 14, son of Thomas Armiger, born Kilkenny. Created Bart 1682. He must the Evans of Kilcreen; that appears in Burke’s Extinct and Dormant Baronetcies.
Finally the protestant graveyard of St Kierans, Kells has the following which given the names might eventually be of interest. An upright and well carved stone. In Remembrance of Lieut Col F.W. Evans Johnson DSO, Royal Irish Fusiliers died Jan 1953 aged 73 and his beloved wife Vera born in 1888 died 1967. “Faugh a Ballagh”. Carved by Molloy Callan. On right hand corner of the stone is the name John Slade.
Will keep an eye out in Kilkenny for your family names.
Mary

CONTACT US

We're not around right now. But you can send us an email and we'll get back to you, asap.

Sending

©2020 Irish Genealogical research Society Created by Smiling Spiders

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account