Reply To: Empson of Kilkenny

RuthM
Participant

Mary,

I’ve been checking back through some earlier evidence that I collected on burial index entries for Empsons in St. Canice’s, Kilkenny using the old search interface to RootsIreland when you could at least see some information on records before having to buy them pay as you go.  I found 4 relevant records – only very minimal information, but I’m trying to corroborate the gravestone transcripts you found for me in which I think there maybe some errors.  So for the record, here’s my thoughts;

• William Impson (sic) buried in 1820  = match for  the first named occupant of the Empson tomb.
  • Mary Empson buried aged 5 in 1845 not 1815 = match for the little girl named Catherine & Mary Catherine in the transcripts above, which would make her a daughter of my Joseph and Margaret Empson.  Also it makes sense that she died after 1825 and not in 1815 as she is listed after her grandmother, Ruth Empson on the headstone?
  • William Empson buried aged 21 in 1847 not 1817  = a match for Mary’s brother who is listed after her.
  • Joseph Empson buried aged 79 in 1859 – this record transcript has a bit of a red herring attached to it because it has Mallardstown listed as the cemetery?

Given that I found the gravestones all completely weathered away, I’m very grateful to the person who did manage to capture something from them in the 1950’s and not surprising that some of the numbers were difficult to read.  But I don’t think I need to look for an earlier marriage for my Joseph Empson now.

Ruth

CONTACT US

We're not around right now. But you can send us an email and we'll get back to you, asap.

Sending

©2020 Irish Genealogical research Society Created by Smiling Spiders

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account