Reply To: Gorman/O'Gorman of Ballyduff, Thomastown, Kilkenny

mary casteleyn
Participant

Hello Brid, It is lovely to hear from a member of the family. I think you must be connected. Bernie and I went about as far as we could with research into Michael who was killed in 1841. It does make sense that some of his family were blacksmiths as he was in a horse artillery regiment. He own father though is not listed as a blacksmith but I can see that others at Ballyshane, Inistiogue and at Bohilla in the 1901 census are listed as blacksmiths. Ballyduff itself in the 1901 census lists a Denis Gorman, 50, a labourer. But Denis Gorman at Ballyshane is a blacksmith. Have you ben through the catholic registers for Inistiogue yourself/ It can be a bit of a slog but might be worth it. Online and free at The National Library Dublin. Rootsireland, which is a pay site has then indexed which might be easier to use. A day ticket, so to speak only costs about £9. We would love to hear more about Michael’s brother Patrick who left for America. They were an enterprising family and obviously fairly well educated for Michael to end up as a writer for one of the officers. Patrick’s son Michael who served in the American civil war is also interesting, Was he on the Union side? And his son Terrence. The use of these name in your branch of the family, as well as in the Ballyduff line would indicate a connection. I think that the line at Ballyduff must have now died out or all moved away. Priests often transcribed wrong names into registers, Mary for Margaret etc., so I don’t think your problem with Daniel/Denis should worry you too much. There is so much other material pointing to a connection. Please do let us have some more information on your line. Bernie and I are working all the time in the Kilkenny graveyards. Finding Michael’s stone was a wonderful bit of luck. Please keep in touch Mary and Bernie

CONTACT US

We're not around right now. But you can send us an email and we'll get back to you, asap.

Sending

©2020 Irish Genealogical research Society Created by Smiling Spiders

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account