Father of William Proctor

This topic has 2 replies, 2 voices, and was last updated 3 months, 4 weeks ago by BernieC1.

• Author
     BernieC1
    Keymaster

My great grandfather William Proctor who married in 1870 named Patrick Proctor, Policeman as his father. However, when I did a search for Patrick,  in the Police records , the only Patrick found was only a few years older than William. However, there is a Matthew from Kilcock born circa 1817, Co Kildare who joined the Dublin Metropolitan Police in 1842. He married Hester Colgan in Clane, Co Kildare on 3 June 1837 and 2 children were born Patrick in 1839 and William in 1842. Both of them joined the RIC, and both named Surgeon LeClerc as their reference. There were more children born to Hester and Matthew in Dublin. Among them were Joseph and Mary who married Thomas Mape, RIC Constable. Thomas is named as a sponsor for William’s daughter Margaret and the 2nd sponsor is Catherine Proctor, who I think is Joseph’s wife. Interestingly, Mary is named as a sponsor for another of William’s daughters. William’s eldest son Matthew moved to Lancashire and according to the 1891 census he was lodging with his Uncle Joseph and Aunt Catherine. I think this is the same Joseph and Catherine already mentioned.

The evidence I’ve gathered so far suggests that Matthew not Patrick was William’s father. However, it seems strange that William named Patrick as his father. Perhaps, he was baptised Matthew Patrick and known as Patrick. Unfortunately, I can find no record of his baptism.

Would be interested to hear the opinions of other members.

Thanks

Web Editor
    Keymaster

I think your logic is very sound. Frustrating to have no definite link though.

What does the other son’s marriage say for the father’s name?

BernieC1
    Keymaster

Apologies for not getting back to you earlier. Patrick died in 1865 unmarried. The other children mentioned name Matthew as the father on the their marriage certs. I’ve done a DNA test which shows that I have a match MRCA 4.6 with a Proctor from Kilcock. A good lead.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

CONTACT US

We're not around right now. But you can send us an email and we'll get back to you, asap.

Sending

©2020 Irish Genealogical research Society Created by Smiling Spiders

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account