Feeney ancestors in County Sligo 1800s

This topic has 3 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated 2 years, 11 months ago by edelvalle.

• Author
     Elizabeth
    Participant

I would like anyone who has been researching my grandmother’s family in Ireland to help in my own research, conducted over many years with frustration!  Her father, Patrick Feeney, was born in 1842/3 and his brother, Thomas, in 1840.  Their parents were Thomas and Mary.  Before making another visit to County Sligo, I would like to establish their exact birth places, any school records and the death of Thomas senior before the family arrived in Yorkshire during the 1860s.  Patrick was married to Sarah Ann Kelly (b USA) in 1864.  I know nothing of Patrick’s whereabouts before then.

Elizabeth

Web Editor
    Keymaster

Hi Elizabeth,

That is a frustrating period of time for records.

I presume you have examined every UK census and record for the family to confirm there’s not an extra place name details?

If the family is Catholic, have you combed through the transcriptions of the RC parish records on Rootsireland/Findmypast/Ancestry?

Also worth checking where people called Feen(e)y are located on Griffiths Valuation and the Tithe Applotment books.

Elizabeth
    Participant

Dear ClaireB

Thank you for your reply.  I have already explored all the avenues suggested by you and will make more effort with the RC parish records.  I was hoping to find researchers with similar requests to mine.  There must be hundreds of descendants in the UK …. so it might happen!

edelvalle
    Participant

You might try checking the records in County Roscommon also, there  are several Feeney records listed and SLigo is close enough that they may have been to a Roscommon Parish for Sacraments

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

CONTACT US

We're not around right now. But you can send us an email and we'll get back to you, asap.

Sending

©2020 Irish Genealogical research Society Created by Smiling Spiders

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account