Gray, McGrayne, Lemon, Williamson, Chapman, Moore, Corbett and Byers families

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  JillWill 1 year, 11 months ago.

• Author
     Elliotgc 
    Participant

I’m going to Ireland for a few days to do further research into my Irish ancestors, who were mainly Church of Ireland or Presbyterian from Monaghan and Meath. I met Steven Smyrl yesterday and he was very helpful and gave me some ideas and told me about the IGRS. I’m planning on going to PRONI to undertake research and I was just wondering whether anyone had any further suggestions of how to go about my search in Ireland. I’ve consulted the Church of Ireland list of parish registers and made a list of the relevant MIC reference at PRONI. Steven also suggested the RCB in Dublin. Is there anything else I should be doing?

The families I’m researching are:

The Grays were originally from Baltrasna, Oldcastle, Meath. My 3x great grandfather was Joseph Gray, born c1830, son of John Gray. He had several siblings, and they were all coachmen from Baltrasna.

The McGraynes were from Killeagh, Meath. My 3x great grandmother was Jane McGrayne, born c1830, daughter of John McGrayne. She had three brothers – Charles, John and Dawson, who all emigrated to the USA.

The Lemons were from Killycronaghan, Killeevan, Monaghan. My 3x great grandfather was John Lemon (1839-1935) and I believe his parents were David Lemon and Mary Patten (1805-1890). Mary was the daughter of James Patten of Stonebridge and Rachel Blakeley and some information was written about them in the book “History of the Somonauk Church” but I have no further information about David Lemon. I know there was another David Lemon in Killycronaghan married to Mary Todd, but I am not sure whether he is the same man (and Mary Todd was therefore his first wife) or whether he is a close relative, e.g. an uncle.

The Williamsons were from Listellan, Killeevan, Monaghan. My 4x great grandparents were John Williamson (1818-1884) and Sarah Riddell (1820-1886). John’s father was James Williamson, his mother’s name is unknown.

The Riddells were from Mullycrock, Glanish, Cornasoo and Annamacneill, all in Monaghan. I found a great deal about them in “The History of the Ancient Ryedales” written in 1884 by GT Ridlon. Sarah’s parents were Thomas Riddell and a Miss Sloan. I don’t have dates for them.

The Chapmans were from Dundrennan, Ematris, Monaghan. My 3x great grandfather was Robert Chapman (1824-1902). Robert’s parents were John and Sarah Chapman (no further information about them).

The Moores were from Dromore, Errigal Trough, Monaghan. My 3x great grandmother was Margaret Moore (1834-1921). Margaret’s father was Charles Moore (died 1859) and Susanna (1791-1873). Charles may have been born in 1775, the son of George Moore of Dromore.

The Corbetts were from Drumaclan, Kilmore; and Rossnaglough, Aghabog, Monaghan. My 3x great grandfather was Samuel Hamilton Corbett (1830-1900). His father was also called Samuel Hamilton Corbett. They were both schoolmasters, but I don’t know where (possibly Rockcorry School or Brownhill National School as his daughter went there) and I have no further information about Samuel senior. I’m hoping to find out what schools they taught at.

The Byers family were from Tirmadown, Kilmore. My 3x great grandmother was Jane Byers (1826-?) . Her parents were John Byers (c1797-1878) and Margaret Sturgeon (c1805-1878), and they are also brickwalls.

Thanks very much for your help.

Regards,
    Elliot

JillWill 
    Participant

Hi Elliot

If you are in Dublin in the National Archives they have ledgers relating to the individual National Schools in the 19th/ early 20th century.  These ledgers do not contain a lot of useful information for the average teacher – mostly just a name and date of start / cessation of employment.  But they may help you determine if your ancestor taught at a particular school. If there was a particular problem with his employment then he may well be covered in more detail, and this information is contained in separate files.

I found detailed correspondence in the files there related to my own great grandfather and the details leading up to his threatened dismal from the headship of Glanworth National School in North Cork.  We knew from family stories that he had a problem with the drink.  From the files it was apparent that on occasion this caused slurring of words etc. in the classroom.  His written response to accusations of drunkenness, were impressive, and reading the files, without the personal knowledge, one might have believed his tales of neuralgia and the effect of medication taken for his complaint.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

CONTACT US

We're not around right now. But you can send us an email and we'll get back to you, asap.

Sending

©2019 Irish Genealogical research Society Created by Smiling Spiders

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account