HUGH WALSH of Ireland and Yonkers

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  IGRS Editor 1 year, 10 months ago.

• Author
     nancykneely 
    Participant

This is our toughest ancestor to find anything on.

Hugh WALSH, b.abt 1835, d.1914 Yonkers, NY.  Immg. abt 1860.    According to his NYS death certificate, the names of his parents were James WALSH and Catherine HOAG.  That’s all we know about his life in Ireland.

He married Anne Reid, about 1860 but not sure if it was in US or Ireland.  The 1860 US Census lists them in Yonkers, with a 9-month son, Thomas, all born in Ireland.  That son dies prior to the 1870 census.  Their known remaining children, all born in Yonkers and all lived to be adults :  Mary Katherine (m.William McGahran), Hugh Patrick (m. Margaret Ryan from Kerry),  James (m. Clara DeLagg) and Anne (m. Frank Smith/Schmiedel).  The final daughter, Frances remained a spinster and survived them all.

Hugh WALSH was a gardener while living in Yonkers.

I’d love to find where Hugh WALSH was born in Ireland.  His wife, Anne REID, appears to have been born in Eglish, Co Offaly, to James REID and Mary SHANAHAN.

Thanks.

IGRS Editor 
    Keymaster

Hello Nancy,

How clear is the surname Hoag in the NYS death record from 1914? It’s not an Irish surname I recignise. I wonder if it’s an error.

Have you checked other sources, such as obits, gravestones etc? What about this too:

https://infowanted.bc.edu/search/

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

CONTACT US

We're not around right now. But you can send us an email and we'll get back to you, asap.

Sending

©2019 Irish Genealogical research Society Created by Smiling Spiders

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account