Kilmacow, Ballingarry, Limerick

This topic contains 18 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Karen Dunn 1 year, 11 months ago.

• Author
     Karen Dunn 
    Participant

Hello,

Does anyone know where to find deeds or leases relevant to Kilmacow, Ballingarry, Limerick? My Barry ancestors had been rumored to come from Buttevant, Cork in 1691 and that they had settled in Kilmacow. In 1832, in the Limerick Chronicle, David Barry, is listed as being a gentleman and James Barry is listed as renting land there, too. One of the properties has been referred to as Kilmacow Castle from what I know. I think that I may descend from James. The family is believed to have been on the land for 10 generations and I would really like to learn more about them.

Thank you.

Web Editor 
    Keymaster

Hi Karen,

Leases and deeds end up in a few places but I suspect very few will be online.

The places to try are:

Registry of Deeds – try the RoD index project as a starting point

Limerick Archives/county library

National Library – try the sources.nli.ie to see if there’s anything under those names.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 12 months ago by  Web Editor.
     Karen Dunn 
    Participant

Thank you ClaireB,

Your post is very helpful. I appreciate it.

Karen

JillWill 
    Participant

Hi Karen
    There is a book by G F Hamilton published in 1930 “records of Balllingarry, Limerick there is a copy in the NLI it might be worth a look. There is also a book by Christy Kerins “Ballingarry, Granagh, and Clouncagh: archival records 1800-1900” published in 2000- it is some years since I read this but I recall it was fairly detailed.

IGRS Editor 
    Keymaster

Try also the Pre-1708 Deeds Cards Index at the National Archives of Ireland. I’ve had quite a bit of success over the years with it unfortunately, it is not an online resource though!

Try also the Landed Estate Court Rentals on FMP.ie. There’s an explanation of this source on the FMP site, though it’s not the best.

Hope this helps.

Steven

Karen Dunn 
    Participant

Thank you for the very helpful responses. I truly appreciate it. Claire, I have located some extensive information in the Limerick Archives about ancestors of mine from Limerick and areas where they had lived. Jill, I hadn’t heard of the book by G F Hamilton. I had read the one that Christy Kerins had written. Steven, I didn’t know that there was a Pre-1708 Deeds Cards Index. There is a record in the Landed Estate Court Rentals on FMP. A David Martin Barry was listed as a tenant in 1851 with 2 properties; the leases originated in 1804. Kilmacow is also called Ballyconneely. Per a 1832 Limerick Chronicle listing a David Barry (think to be David Martin Barry) was a gentleman and freeholder with houses and land in Kilmacow worth 10.James Barry was a farmer and freeholder with houses and land in Kilmacow worth 20. James Barry Senior was also a farmer and freeholder worth 20. What is a “gentleman”? Does it mean gentry? If David Barry from 1832 is the David Martin Barry from 1851 and gentry, why would he be a tenant?

Web Editor 
    Keymaster

Gentleman was a catchall phrase for people who didn’t have a job, i.e. they lived off income from independent wealth or property.

It would however be extremely common to rent property and not own it, even if you had plenty of money.

Karen Dunn 
    Participant

Thank you, ClaireB. That makes more sense to me now.

Karen Dunn 
    Participant

I have started reading “Nicholas O’Donnell’s Autobiography”  edited by Val Noone and have located some information relevant to Kilmacow on page 167 of it.  There is an obituary of a Mrs Hickey. There are some acronyms besides the names of mourners that could be related to my family. What do D.C.  C.C. and J.P stand for?    In the transcription, there is a  Mrs Win Barry from Kilmacow who I think was my gg grandmother Mrs Wm  Barry.   The obituary reflects that Mrs Honora (Barry) Hickey had died on 12-14-1907. There is no mention of the newspaper’s name. What newspaper/s could this have come from? Thank you.

Web Editor 
    Keymaster

J.P is usually Justice of the Peace

The main Limerick newspapers are Limerick Leader and the Limerick Chronicle. The latter is not online but the Leader is on http://www.irishnewsarchive.com and the British News Archive has the Limerick Evening Post and Reporter.

The Limerick archives has an obituary database http://www.limerickcity.ie/Library/LocalStudies/ObituariesdeathnoticesetcfromTheLimerickChronicle/

Karen Dunn 
    Participant

Thank you, ClaireB.   Do you know what D.C and C.C stand for?

Web Editor 
    Keymaster

No, but hopefully someone else does.

Karen Dunn 
    Participant

Thank you, ClaireB.

Lori 
    Participant

Hi Karen, I’ve just seen your post. You will find some memorials of deeds online here:

https://familysearch.org/search/catalog/185720?availability=Family%20History%20Library

I had a quick look and immediately found three which are relevant.

The first reference is 1833, volume 5, memorial 64.  To find it, scroll about halfway down the page until you see the film labelled ‘Deeds etc v 3-5 1833’ which is Film no 469002 and click on the little camera icon on the right. Then go to page 387 on the film where you will find a lease (or sale?) of land in Kilmacow from David O’Shaughnessy to John Barry.

The second two memorials are reference 1835, volume 19, memorials 31 and 32 which are on Film 469791, page 20 of the film. They appear to be annuities granted by a James Barry of Kilmacow to family  members.

I found these by searching the Land Index Limerick 1833-1835 (Film 100498) and you will probably be able to find more.  It takes a while to get familiar with using this record set so be prepared for some frustration! I’m happy to help if necessary.

Lori

Karen Dunn 
    Participant

Lori,

Thank you very much. I am certain that this is my family.  How do you figure out what film the information is in?

I know that with respect to  Kilmacow House/Kilmacow Castle land went from a James Barry to Thomas Hickey/Alice (Barry) Hickey and then on to James Hickey/Honora (Barry) Hickey.  James/Honora were married on Feb 2, 1867. I know that James Hickey was in “Kilmacow House”/”Kilmacow Castle” in 1886 per a dog license register.

William Barry/Honora (Quaid/e) Barry, my gg grandparents were their neighbors; they got married June 6, 1861; they were there in 1869 for sure per a dog license register. I can’t figure out when William  had gotten the property.

Thank you,

Karen

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

CONTACT US

We're not around right now. But you can send us an email and we'll get back to you, asap.

Sending

©2019 Irish Genealogical research Society Created by Smiling Spiders

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account