Lanigan, Callan, county Kilkenny

Tagged: 

This topic has 4 replies, 2 voices, and was last updated 7 months, 2 weeks ago by mary casteleyn.

• Author
     mary casteleyn
    Participant

Bernie Kirwan and I have been working on the pedigree of this Lanigan family following the discovering of several early headstones and memorials in Kilkenny and also just over the Tipperary border in Modeshill graveyard near Mullinavat. The founder of the family appears to be William Lanigan of Cloneygoose, county Tipperary (but right near Callan in Kilkenny). He left a Will dated 13th April 1722 and expressed a desire to be buried in Modeshill graveyard, presumably the traditional family burial place. There is only one Lanigan in Modeshill recorded on a headstone and that is a Judith Lanigan whose date of death was left unmarked, and who was married to a James Magrath who erected the stone to the memory of his father James Magrath who died in 1815 aged 72. Judith may be a descendant of William Lanigan, possibly a grand-daughter or great grand-daughter. We have compiled several family trees for Lanigan families in Kilkenny, including a Stannard-Lanigan family from the north of the county. They can be both Catholic and Church of Ireland. We are interested in any Lanigans with a Callan connection or indeed elsewhere in county Kilkenny. Thank you.
    Mary Casteleyn

Bob Frewen
    Participant

Interesting. I have a marital connection to the Tipperary Lanigans. I’ve often wondered what the connection was between them and the Kilkenny family. Common Christian names are William / James / Thomas in the Tipp families centred on Templemore/Templetuohy. The earliest I have recorded is a Thomas Lanigan (born about 1780) who married Bridget Dalton and had seven children, one of them, William Lanigan (1820-1900), became Bishop of Gouldbourne in Australia. I’d be interested to know if you have found any connection between the Kilkenny Lanigans and this Tipperary family.
    Thanks
    Bob

mary casteleyn
    Participant

Bob
    Thank you for replying to our query. We know about Bishop William Lanigan, Bishop of Goldbourne but have not managed to find a link to the other Lanigans we are working on. We have quite a bit on Bishop James Lanigan, Ossory. His line is to be found in Kilmanagh, Callan, Attinoe, and Pottlerath – all Kilkenny. Many of these Lanigans do seem to interlink but there are also Church of Ireland lines. William of Cloneygoose, Tipp, Will dated 1722 had at least one son who conformed very early and who made a marriage with a new settler family by the name of Dunsterville. Do you have the names of the seven children of Thomas Lanigan and Bridget Dalton, with sponsors? Or have you found any Wills? We don’t have (yet) a copy of the Bishop William’s Will? Do you have this and did he leave anything back into family left in Ireland?
    Mary

Bob Frewen
    Participant

Mary,
    Thanks for the response and info.
    I’ve done very little detailed research on this family – not high on my research list as it is not in my direct line. The naming patterns of the Kilkenny and Tipperary families are very similar hence my curiosity on pre-1800 origins.
    The children of Thomas & Mary (nee Dalton) were Patrick, William, Mary, Michael, William, Margaret and Bridget. I have scant information on them. Bishop William was the second child of that name. I’ve been told that the family was in Lisdaleen pre-1800, which seems correct as Thomas is there in the Tithe Applotment books. However, (unless I’m missing something) they do not appear in Griffiths. I have not gone the wills route, but am aware that several possessions of the bishop were sent home to Ireland. My connection is marital, via a descent of Michael, (married Anne Healy) brother of the bishop. He got a rather florid encomium ‘Deoth of Bishop Lanigan’s Brother’ in the Irish Catholic (Dublin), of Nov. 18, 1893.
    Bob

mary casteleyn
    Participant

Thanks Bob for your information. We will definitely follow this Lanigan line up during our research. Mary

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

CONTACT US

We're not around right now. But you can send us an email and we'll get back to you, asap.

Sending

©2020 Irish Genealogical research Society Created by Smiling Spiders

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account