Lavender Family of Roscommon

This topic has 1 reply, 2 voices, and was last updated 10 months ago by Web Editor.

• Author
     Valerie Bladon
    Participant

Hello

I’m researching the Lavender family and am interested in any mention of any Lavenders anywhere in Ireland.

My ancestors Peter Lavender and wife Margaret (maiden name unknown) and large family left Roscommon and went to England in about 1847.

We think they lived in the Strokestown area. Peter was a herdsman and the family Catholic.

They appear in the Catholic records in Derbyshire in the late 1840s.

We have DNA connections to other Lavender descendants in the UK and USA and also in Ireland although the name Lavender itself seems to have died out.

DNA connected Lavender families lived in Curraghroe, Mount Dillon and Scramogue areas of Roscommon.

One of my ancestor’s brothers stated Roscommon on all the UK census he appears on apart from the last one when he stated Longford.

So I’m assuming they could have lived near the border of Roscommon and Longford.

I’ve searched all the records I can find online and also visited Roscommon twice and found gravestones etc.

If anyone has any Lavenders mentioned in their family history I would love to include them in my research.

Trying to tie them all together eventually.

Thank you

Valerie

Web Editor
    Keymaster

What a gift of a surname!

I’m not sure what websites you’ve already looked at for traces, so some of these may be quite basic for you.

I’m sure you’ve already looked at the IGRS offerings online here in the Resources section.

John Grenham’s website shows a bit of name distribution and an alternate spelling of Lavinder.

http://www.irishgenealogy.ie for all historic birth/death/marriage registers (with data protection limits in place). I just did a broad search and it returned 234 Lavender records. Lots in Roscommon. Note there are multiple registration districts for the county: Strokestown, Athlone, Ballinslow, Boyle, Carrick-on-Shannon & Castlereagh as well as Roscommon itself.

There are limited church records on that same site – none for Roscommon – but still 87 records to look through.

Rootsireland.ie – requires a subscription but has the best collection of parish records for the country. It does not give full coverage and you should also compare with the RC parish records on Ancestry/FMP (which are the same dataset and overlap with Rootsireland)

Failteromhat.com is a wonderful site with a mix of different records but it does have some Roscommon ones.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

CONTACT US

We're not around right now. But you can send us an email and we'll get back to you, asap.

Sending

©2020 Irish Genealogical research Society Created by Smiling Spiders

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account