Lease for life renewable for ever

This topic has 4 replies, 5 voices, and was last updated 2 years, 11 months ago by bobgraham.

• Author

My ancestors had a lease for life on 60 acres of land in Furroor Co Clare. It’s near Lissycasey. Could anybody advise how a family would qualify for such a lease as far back as 1829. Are there any index available recording such leases. They were an R.C. family. Thank You Sean Coghlan.

Web Editor
    Keymaster

Hi Sean

I’m not aware of a specific index for those type of leases but the Registry of Deeds is the main repository. Leases for life were not uncommon and by 1829, all of the Penal laws had been relaxed or abolished.

2 online places to check:
    RoD index project
    Records of Landed Estate Courts on Findmypast.ie (subscription required)

Nufarr
    Participant

Sean, The Registry of Deeds microfilms are now online at Familysearch.org.   It takes a bit of effort but well worth wrapping your head around the system. You might want to read up on it before diving in, but it was more than likely registered. I usually first look in the Land Index books around the time I think the Lease was first issued, then look for the corresponding volume and Memorial number. How do you know they had a Lease for life? There might be some clues in the information you already have.

https://familysearch.org/search/catalog/185720?availability=Family%20History%20Library

Good luck.

Sneff
    Participant

Nufarr, Thank you very much for this link. Months of work ahead! Geoff.

bobgraham
    Participant

Was it a lease for life or simply a lease for the life of …person A,B,C?

Bob Graham

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

CONTACT US

We're not around right now. But you can send us an email and we'll get back to you, asap.

Sending

©2020 Irish Genealogical research Society Created by Smiling Spiders

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account