looking for parents of William Hill Esq

This topic contains 7 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Bob Frewen 3 months, 1 week ago.

• Author
     patrickhill 
    Participant

Hello all, I need some help to get past the dead end I have hit with my 4 x grandfather William Hill Esq born May 2 1786 Ireland- July 21 1834 Port Arlington Ireland. I am trying to find his father and mother. Wm married Anna Maria Crooke 1781 Ireland -Oct 29 1865 Hillsborough Ontario Canada in 1805 in Dublin. Anna came to Canada in 1838 after Wm’s death. She cam to live with her Brother Thomas Ledlie Crooke RN on the Lambton shores near Sarnia Ont. Attached please find the marriage record, Wm death notice, Wm occupation as a Lawyer and a link for Anna’s brother. Thank you.Wm Hill marriage

patrickhill 
    Participant

Wm Hill Lawyer

patrickhill 
    Participant

Wm Hill death

patrickhill 
    Participant

Thomas ledlie Crooke

hrtulloch@tulloch.ie 
    Participant

The late Ronnie Mathews, in his book “Portarlington The Inside Story” (ISBN 0 86335 027 5), suggests that the Hill family may have arrived in the area as Huguenots and Anglicised their name to Hill. They seem to have held land at ‘Glass House’ where an earlier tenant, Mr Heinzle/Hennezel, had attempted to establish a glass business c1672. This land was part of the forfeited holdings of Sir Patrick Trant and later owned by Henry Bennet.
    Portarlington became well-known for its schools in the late 18th century and Nick Halpin’s school is connected with James Hill, son of Major Thomas Hill of Portarlington and brother of architect Thomas Hill Jr. James attended Trinity College Dublin according to Mr Mathews. Another Hill son, Thomas, married Mary Anne, daughter of Nicholas Halpin. Their three children were called Nicholas Thomas, William Halpin and Mary Anne Hill. Mother Mary Anne died while the children were still young.
    Ronnie Mathews refers several times to the ‘Hill memoirs’. He says, ‘The same family papers tell how, through living beyond his means and a fondness of gambling, Hill lost the estate, and the family then moved to a modest house with some land in the town.’It is not clear from the book where the ‘Hill memoirs’ were sourced. In the 1800s the Hills opened a shop in Main Street. The memoirs refer to Major Hill receiving a letter about 1827, otherwise dates are few.
    Apparently descendants of the family visited in 1994.
    I see that it is possible to find copies of this local history on the internet.

hrtulloch@tulloch.ie 
    Participant

The late Ronnie Mathews, in his book “Portarlington The Inside Story” (ISBN 0 86335 027 5), suggests that the Hill family may have arrived in the area as Huguenots and Anglicised their name to Hill. They seem to have held land at ‘Glass House’ where an earlier tenant, Mr Heinzle/Hennezel, had attempted to establish a glass business c1672. This land was part of the forfeited holdings of Sir Patrick Trant and later owned by Henry Bennet.
    Portarlington became well-known for its schools in the late 18th century and Nick Halpin’s school is connected with James Hill, son of Major Thomas Hill of Portarlington and brother of architect Thomas Hill Jr. James attended Trinity College Dublin according to Mr Mathews. Another Hill son, Thomas, married Mary Anne, daughter of Nicholas Halpin. Their three children were called Nicholas Thomas, William Halpin and Mary Anne Hill. Mother Mary Anne died while the children were still young.
    Ronnie Mathews refers several times to the ‘Hill memoirs’. He says, ‘The same family papers tell how, through living beyond his means and a fondness of gambling, Hill lost the estate, and the family then moved to a modest house with some land in the town.’ It is not clear from the book where the ‘Hill memoirs’ were sourced. In the 1800s the Hills opened a shop in Main Street. The memoirs refer to Major Hill receiving a letter about 1827, otherwise dates are few.
    Apparently descendants of the family visited in 1994.
    I see that it is possible to find copies of this local history on the internet.

patrickhill 
    Participant

Thank you, I will follow up on this lead.

Bob Frewen 
    Participant

Her brother, Thomas Ledlie Crooke gets a comprehensive entry in O’Byrne’s Naval Biographical Dictionary (Page 246)

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

CONTACT US

We're not around right now. But you can send us an email and we'll get back to you, asap.

Sending

©2019 Irish Genealogical research Society Created by Smiling Spiders

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account