Missing Kent brothers

This topic has 4 replies, 2 voices, and was last updated 3 years, 6 months ago by Web Editor.

• Author
     Web Editor
    Keymaster

I’m working on a gg grandmother’s sister’s family. Harriet’s husband, Richard Kent, was a prison warder and they moved to Derry from Dublin pre-Independence, and then ended up living in Northern Ireland. Harriet died in 1923 in Belfast and Richard in 1929 in Drogheda, on a visit to his daughter.

They had 7 children (three died young): William died in WWI, Elizabeth married a John Hastings and moved back to Drogheda. Richard Jnr (born Dublin 1886) married a Martha Baker in Derry and I can find nothing about him after the 1911 census. They seem to have had no children (as in the indexes do not show any Kents with mothers’ called Baker). Jonathan Kent, born 1897 in Derry: also nothing post 1911.  Richard Kent Snr’s will states that his daughter is his sole next of kin, which implies that his other sons pre-deceased him too.

I’ve checked GRONI up to the end of their online records for marriages/deaths, same on the Irish civil records. There’s a Richard Kent who died in 1960 in Dublin whose age is one year out but he died in a hospital so there’s nothing to confirm him in terms of a wife or children. Looks to be buried in Glasnevin, which very slightly makes me think it’s not him, as the family was Presbyterian. Might see if I can find a notice in a newspaper of his death.

Would appreciate any thoughts on what to try next? Obviously, their names would be relatively common in the UK so I want to avoid going down the avenue of speculatively ordering a lot of UK death certs.

• This topic was modified 3 years, 9 months ago by Web Editor.
     JillWill
    Participant

When you checked for bmd in the republic post 1911 did you also try the index on familysearch.org as this is a different index to irishgenealogy.ie if there were mistakes in the later website’s  index it may pick up some misindexed individuals.

Web Editor
    Keymaster

Yes, I think so, but it’s worth checking to be sure.  I noticed the differences when I worked on a small one-name study.  Picked up several differences.

JillWill
    Participant

Just thinking the Richard Kent who died in 1960, have you checked for the death notice in the newspapers as this may reveal information about his family?

Also if the family is not visible in Ireland it may be worth having a look in England and Scotland as so many families move around these isles.

Web Editor
    Keymaster

Good idea: I’ll add that to my list for the next time I have an irishnewsarchive subscription.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

CONTACT US

We're not around right now. But you can send us an email and we'll get back to you, asap.

Sending

©2021 Irish Genealogical research Society Created by Smiling Spiders

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account