Smith Folk in Co. Cavan

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  IGRS Editor 3 weeks, 3 days ago.

• Author
     IGRS Editor 
    Keymaster

Smith is a common surname in Co. Cavan!

I’m seeking connections to the family of Andrew Smith & Bridget Smith who married in July 1870 in the RC parish of Lavy, Co. Cavan. They were both widowed and in their mid-40s.

While their marriage record indicates that Bridget’s maiden surname must also have been Smith (it notes her father as Patt Smith, farmer), it isn’t clear if her late husband was also called Smith! It’s a real puzzle!

Here is a link to the record https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1870/11403/8187206.pdf

• This topic was modified 3 weeks, 3 days ago by  IGRS Editor.
    • This topic was modified 2 weeks, 1 day ago by  IGRS Editor.
     Bob Frewen 
    Participant

Curious indeed. Does the Church entry shed any additional light? It would be worthwhile looking to see if that priest had married other widows and used ‘formerly’ after their names. Also, were there children from her first marriage? I’d look for baptisms with the mother’s name Bridget nee Smith from that townland, 1845 – 68 (assuming her age and the usual two years of widowhood). That might throw up a possibility / narrow the search. At 44 she has less than a 2% chance of becoming pregnant and a less than 50% chance of carrying to term, so post-marriage date it’s unlikely that there was a birth.

IGRS Editor 
    Keymaster

Great suggestions, thanks Bob. I’ll keep you posted.  🙂

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

CONTACT US

We're not around right now. But you can send us an email and we'll get back to you, asap.

Sending

©2019 Irish Genealogical research Society Created by Smiling Spiders

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account