Neely / Donovan – Thurles Tipperary area

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  IGRS Editor 2 years ago.

• Author
     nancykneely 
    Participant

My husband’s Tipperary ancestors were Richard NEELY (1805-1870) and Johana DONOVAN (1818-1888).  The birth years are approximate and I have no idea where they came from or who their ancestors were.

They were married at Holycross in 1837 and proceeded to have 10 children baptized there until 1857.  Children, in birth order were:  Mary, John, Margaret, James, Thomas, William, Richard Jr, Elizabeth, Patrick and Michael.

John and Thomas immigrated to Yonkers NY before 1865 and John died in NYC in 1865.  William, Richard, Elizabeth and Patrick all came about 1880 and settled in the general NYC area.  Margaret remained in the Thurles area and married Michael FOGARTY and their children were baptized at Holycross.   James remained there until at least 1870 when he signed as the informant on his father’s death record.  Then I lose him.  I also found no record for the youngest, Michael.

Johana Donovan Neely died in 1888 and her death record was signed by her SIL, Michael Fogarty.

My husband took both DNA tests at FTDNA :  FamilyFinder and Y-37DNA.   The Y test matched him up with others of the same name whose ancestors came from Londonderry.  But that leaves us a 200 year gap between the 1600s and the 1800s.

I’d love to find out when/where the parents, Richard and Johana, were born and how did they end up in Tipperary.

Thanks.

• This topic was modified 2 years ago by  nancykneely.
     IGRS Editor 
    Keymaster

I’m not too surprised by you getting DNA matched for Neely in Co Derry as it is a surname found in the northern counties of Ireland.

Did you check the entries in the original Holycross parish register? If not, you should. They are free at http://registers.nli.ie

Check for the home townland of the family in the marriage record and the subsequent baptisms. When Margaret married Michael Fogarty, what was her home address?

Hope this helps

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

CONTACT US

We're not around right now. But you can send us an email and we'll get back to you, asap.

Sending

©2019 Irish Genealogical research Society Created by Smiling Spiders

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account