Oakshott Family Cork

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  peterparry 1 year, 10 months ago.

• Author
     peterparry 
    Participant

My name is Peter Parry and I am researching the Oakshott branch of my family tree. I am trying to find BMD records for John Oakshott Architect of Cork born I believe in 1800. Also his father whom I believe to be Thomas Oakshott a Master Builder/Architect. I have not been able to find any of these records, only Trade Directory entrees and one or two newspaper references. If anyone can help with where to look next I would be very grateful.

RuthM 
    Participant

I can’t claim a connection with any Oakshott’s in Cork but I do have a man with that surname marrying into an English branch of my family.  He was born in Hampshire in the 1820’s and a very quick open query of FreeBMD shows lots of Oakshott vital events being recorded in the Catherington, Droxford and Portsea Island RD’s in the early decades of English civil registration.  John Gresham’s surname maps only show a very few entries for Oakshott, all in Cork City.  So, I would guess that your John Oakshott is English and you should try hunting in the Hampshire parish registers for him.  I would also try to find occupation records especially apprenticeship records in Hampshire / England for master builders – sorry not sure where you can find these easily.  Personally, I would get in touch with Hampshire Archives in Winchester and see if they can help you with possible locations of these records.  It may also be worth getting in touch with the Hampshire Genealogical Society as maybe one of their membership has researched this name in this location?

It appears to be a relatively unusual surname and if you do find a connection to a James Oakshott ba. 1826/7, Durley, Hampshire marrying an Ann Hardy, I’ve researched his line forward, including New Zealand descendants and a very naughty son called Henry who is my star criminal in my family tree!

JillWill 
    Participant

The Dictionary of Irish Architects 1720-1940 is online and has a brief mention for him see

http://www.dia.ie/architects/view/4091/OAKSHOTT-THOMAS so it may be worth contacting the Irish Architectural Archive to see if they have anything else on him.

peterparry 
    Participant

Thank you RuthM and JillWill for your comments on my Oakshott post. I will certainly take up your suggestions.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

CONTACT US

We're not around right now. But you can send us an email and we'll get back to you, asap.

Sending

©2019 Irish Genealogical research Society Created by Smiling Spiders

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account