Pallas from Navan

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  spj5 12 months ago.

• Author
     spj5 
    Participant

Hi – I just joined and wondered if the surname Pallas rings any bells here. I’m descended from a Pallas / Healey marriage in Navan in the 1860s and I’m struggling to get further back.

spj5 
    Participant

Thanks Claire. Anne Pallas married James Healey on 1 Feb 1866 at Navan (source Ireland Select Marriages on Ancestry). Her father is stated as Henry Pallis.

Griffiths shows a Henry Pallis living on the Old Corn Market in Navan in 1855 so I assume this is the one and same. A Henry Pallas died in Navan in 1883 (b 1813). He was a sawyer and his date or birth would be consistent with Anne birth in 1845. There also seems to be another son James Pallas who lived at Fairgreen?

Anne and James moved to Liverpool in the late 1860s. but there is no trace of her mother.

Ancestry also states that MacLysaght ascribes the origin of this surname in Ireland to the arrival there in the 15th century of a Lombard family of bankers named de Palatio. Someone also posted on a bulletin board in 2000 that the name copmes from a family that came to ireland as accountants to the Archbishopric of Armagh in the 14th century….it was pallatio. They were to be met with under the protection of the nugents in north westmeath and later in south cavan. I don’t know how much truth there is in this but I know through DNA tests that Cavan features a lot but again I can’t make any direct connections.

I’ll check out Rootsireland and get back if I find any new info but the purpose of setting up this thread was mainly to make a connection to anyone with the Pallas name in their tree.

JillWill 
    Participant

As you know where Henry Pallis is on Griffiths Valuation, you might want to upload a message on the askaboutireland website.  You could say you are  looking for others researching the same family and leave an email address for others to contact you.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

CONTACT US

We're not around right now. But you can send us an email and we'll get back to you, asap.

Sending

©2019 Irish Genealogical research Society Created by Smiling Spiders

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account