Pratt of Youghal

This topic has 1 reply, 2 voices, and was last updated 3 years, 4 months ago by Sneff.

• Author
     mary casteleyn
    Participant

For the IGRS member with a query about this family. There is a book by John Pratt called The Pratts of Youghal published in 1931. I thought I might have a copy of this but no luck. However you can try The Family of Green of Youghal, co Cork by Simon Green and published in 1902. There appears to be a copy of this available and viewable at Ancestry. This is full of Pratt genealogy as the Pratts inter-married with the Greens. Chapter V1 is about the descendants of Mary Green and James Pratt of Carrignashinny and Youghal. It includes the Pratts of Castlemartyr and much of what you are seeking. There are Pratts throughout the text and a genealogical listing of the Pratts from the arrival of Robert in the reign of Charles 1. Jeremiah Pratt married at Youghal a Miss Farmer in 1713 and had amongst others the Rev Jeremiah Pratt born 1723 who attended Trinity College, Dublin. According to these records he married 19th July 1764 Mary Ann, third daughter of David Chaigneau MP and widow of Simon Green. The Youghal Registers did not tell us she was previously married, nor give us her maiden name. Burkes Landed Gentry of Ireland 1912 also has the pedigree of Pratt of Gawsworth which is of the Youghal family. Further the genealogical papers of Horace Jones were photocopied by the Mormons some time in the 1970/80s. These contain a whole section about the Pratt family.These should be accessible for free on microfilm at the familysearch.org web site. I am certain you will locate these papers there . They were donated to the Society for photocopying by the genealogist and our member Michael Leader. You might have to visit a Mormon Family History centre to view them but I believe you can order the microfilm in advance of a visit. Mary

Sneff
    Participant

Mary, Thank you for your post – I had forgotten about the book by Simon Green and it partly answered my query. I will order the papers of Horace Jones from family search in the hope that it mentions the christian name of the Miss Farmer who married Jeremiah Pratt. According to the will of John Farmer he had at least three daughters Mary, Anne and the daughter who married Jeremiah Pratt.

The Simon Green book mentioned an Elizabeth (daughter of Robert Pratt and Anne) who married an Andrew Kelly in 1720. I suspect that this Andrew Kelly (a mariner) was the son of another Andrew Kelly (also a mariner) who married Anne Farmer, daughter of Captain Thomas Farmer on 10 Aug 1675. Geoff

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

CONTACT US

We're not around right now. But you can send us an email and we'll get back to you, asap.

Sending

©2020 Irish Genealogical research Society Created by Smiling Spiders

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account