Rowan family of Tralee area

Tagged: 

This topic has 5 replies, 2 voices, and was last updated 8 months, 3 weeks ago by ThatAndyGuy93.

• Author
     ThatAndyGuy93
    Participant

My Great Great Grandmother was Mary Rowan. Her Father was Thomas Rowan who died before 1894. I do not know her Mother’s name. Mary was born around 1874. She married Thomas Hoare of Castlegregory on 29 September 1894 in Tralee, where she was living at the time. Thomas died at the workhouse hospital in Tralee on 20 January 1914. Mary died in Tralee on 19 December 1947.

I would love to know any information anyone can provide about the Rowan family in the Tralee area as I can’t find a birth/baptism record for Mary at all from that area, even though it states on both the 1901 and 1911 censuses that she was born in Tralee.

Kind Regards,

Andrew

Web Editor
    Keymaster

Have you looked at the church version of their marriage? That would hopefully tell you the mother’s name.

No Mary Rowan born in Tralee between 1870-1880 – there’s a Marion but the father’s name is wrong.

I was looking on http://www.irishgenealogy.ie – in case you’re not familiar with that site. There’s also Kerry church records on it but no luck there either.

Web Editor
    Keymaster

Hmm, what about this Mary Roan born 1875 in Galway to a Thomas?

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1875/03087/2131681.pdf

ThatAndyGuy93
    Participant

I only have Thomas and Mary’s marriage certificate. Would I need to contact the church itself to see the church version of their marriage?

So it seems she definitely wasn’t born in Tralee as it states on the 1901 and 1911 censuses. The Galway record is definitely interesting and may be the answer.

Thank you very much for your help.

Andrew

Web Editor
    Keymaster

I wouldn’t say “definitely”. In the 1870s, there’d still be a fair amount of unregistered births and she may fall into that category.

Irishgenealogy.ie has a transcription of the marriage (it has Tralee parish records to 1900) but doesn’t include the mothers’ names. This probably means they were not recorded but I think it is worth your while contacting the parish to be sure.

If you have not tried it already, you could look at identifying siblings for her – a birth or a marriage for one of them might give the mother’s name.

ThatAndyGuy93
    Participant

Okay I will try that. Thanks for your help.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

CONTACT US

We're not around right now. But you can send us an email and we'll get back to you, asap.

Sending

©2020 Irish Genealogical research Society Created by Smiling Spiders

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account