Tithe Applotments Co Monaghan

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  JillWill 4 months, 3 weeks ago.

• Author
     GerWhelan 
    Participant

Killycoghill and Ballintoppan are townlands in the civil parish of Clones, Co Monaghan and both feature in Griffith’s Valuation. However, I am unble to trace these townlands in the earlier Tithe Applotment records and wonder if anyone can shed any information?  I have also seen first one referred to as Kilacohal in baptismal records. I have checked records for Co Fermanagh, bordering county also but only two civil parish records are on the National Archives website = Tomregan and Inishmacsaint although there are 22 parishes. I’m particularly interested in surnames McEntee, Connolly and McCabe.

Thanks

Ger Whelan

JillWill 
    Participant

Hi Ger As you no doubt know the standardisation of Irish placenames was only completed in the 1830s as part of the Ordinance Survey. This led to the drop of a significant number of traditional names for places. One useful place to consult for help with place names is the logainm website. Here is a link to what it says for Killycoghill and this gives a map link as well.
    http://www.logainm.ie/en/40603?s=Killycoghill

Jill

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

CONTACT US

We're not around right now. But you can send us an email and we'll get back to you, asap.

Sending

©2019 Irish Genealogical research Society Created by Smiling Spiders

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account