Walter Jennings (Jonine) 1708-1742

This topic has 2 replies, 2 voices, and was last updated 2 weeks ago by peterj9977.

• Author
     peterj9977
    Participant

I hope this is not too specific for the Forum. Trying to trace the above Walter Jennings ‘Merchant of Ballinrobe’ 1708?-1742. On Ancestry.co.uk there are about 13 Walters whom I believe to be the same person, but most trees stop there. However, there are three which match ‘mine’ upwards to another 150 years, to Cornwall. My full tree is not yet on Ancestry as I was uncertain of the correctness – JPJennings fam tree. Authors of the other trees do not seem to wish to reply to me. South Mayo Family History Society cannot find any records, although they advise of an alternative name spelling, above. I cannot find any suitable BMD records, particularly looking for Walter’s death (Tuam area?) or his supposed son David’s birth. I have Walter’s father as Capt Sir Williams Jennings (Jennens) who went to France when King James II abdicated (supposedly putting Walter out of harm’s way in W Ireland). Anyone else looking for Walter? Thanks, Peter Jennings.

JillWill
    Participant

Hi Peter
    I am not familiar with this family. However I was wondering whether you had looked in the Registry of Deeds for any information on him or his family?
    As

a Merchant of Ballinrobe

he or his family might have used the Registry, which commenced from 1708. If you are really lucky you might even find a marriage settlement. Nick Reddan’s Registry of Deeds Index Project has provided a partial index to this collection and is available at http://www.irishdeedsindex.net That website provides some useful guides to the Registry of Deeds also.

peterj9977
    Participant

Thank you, Jill. I have just spent some time trying to understand this all, and so far, not so good. However, I will continue to examine this/these, and thanks again for your suggestion.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

CONTACT US

We're not around right now. But you can send us an email and we'll get back to you, asap.

Sending

©2021 Irish Genealogical research Society Created by Smiling Spiders

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account