Will Calendars reference numbers

Tagged: 

This topic contains 9 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  IGRS Editor 5 months, 3 weeks ago.

• Author
     RuthM 
    Participant

I’ve been using the Will Calendars from the National Archives of Ireland a lot for a project recently and I am curious as to what the numbers in square brackets that usually appear after or sometimes under the person’s name refer to.   Has anyone got any ideas or theories?

IGRS Editor 
    Keymaster

Hi Ruth, What period of the Calendars are you referring to? Can you post a link to an example? Cheers, Steven

RuthM 
    Participant

I’m working with the post-1858 calendars that are free via the National Archives website – this link should take you to a page with examples under every name in square brackets – http://www.willcalendars.nationalarchives.ie/reels/cwa/005014899/005014899_00036.pdf

I thought it might be something to do with a sequence number for wills proved in the year but that theory doesn’t seem to hold up with a quick comparison of some of the numbers and dates.  I’ve also seen pages without any of these numbers in square brackets too?

Thanks, Ruth

Bob Frewen 
    Participant

I always assumed that they were references to page entry records in another register – e.g. local probate offices?

IGRS Editor 
    Keymaster

I would assume that they refer to page entries in the Will or Admon Registers maintained by each Probate Registry. These books up o 1900 are scanned on the NAI website (though finding them is a nightmare!). However, I crossed referenced a few such entries and the numbers noted in the printed will calendars don’t correspond to the Will Books. They could possibly be page numbers corresponding to the Grant Books.

RuthM 
    Participant

Thanks Steven – have you got a direct link for those Will or Admon Registers on the NAI site please as I’m struggling to find them!

IGRS Editor 
    Keymaster

I would assume that they refer to page entries in the Will or Admon Registers maintained by each Probate Registry. These books up o 1900 are scanned on the NAI website (though finding them is a nightmare!). However, I crossed referenced a few such entries and the numbers noted in the printed will calendars don’t correspond to the Will Books. They could possibly be page numbers corresponding to the Grant Books.

IGRS Editor 
    Keymaster
     RuthM 
    Participant

Thanks Steven. No wonder I couldn’t find them – this article on the NAI website only mentions the calendars as being online – http://www.nationalarchives.ie/article/testamentary-record/ .  They use the term Will Books in the article but I think they mean the Will Registers you have highlighted and it’s just that they haven’t updated the article to say they are now available online too?  I’m assuming these are the same documents that were previously accessible on microfilm via the Family History Library at Kew, where they called them District Will Books.

IGRS Editor 
    Keymaster

Hi Ruth, The term Will Registers is something new. They’ve always been known as Will Books until some bright spark at NAI decided otherwise within the past couple of years!!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

CONTACT US

We're not around right now. But you can send us an email and we'll get back to you, asap.

Sending

©2019 Irish Genealogical research Society Created by Smiling Spiders

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account