William Fitton, Mathematical Instument Maker, Cork City

This topic contains 4 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  JillWill 1 year, 7 months ago.

• Author
     Richard Crabbe 
    Participant

I would appreciate any information about this William, who was my great-great-great-great grandfather and lived in the 18th century in Cork City; he

married Mary Hussey in 1767. His son Nicholas was a Dublin attorney and his grandson, William Henry Fitton, was a doctor and geologist.

JillWill 
    Participant

Looking at the Lucas directory of Cork 1787 I see that two Fittons are in business as mathematical instrument makers in Paul Street Cork.  Francis is at number 36 and Alexander is at number 60.  As Fitton is not a very common name in Cork it may be worth following up on these.  A number of old Cork trade and postal directories are free online at www.corkpastandpresent.ie/places/streetandtradedirectories/

JillWill 
    Participant

I also note that a number of entries are made in Sir William Betham’s abstracts for William Fitton Cork- these can be consulted at the National Library of Ireland in Dublin, they have also be filmed by the Mormons and have recently been added online to the Irish records on FindMyPast.

Richard Crabbe 
    Participant

Thank you for your suggestions, JillWill.  Betham’s note no.157 confirms the names of William’s five sons that my grandfather’s cousin provided in a pedigree in  1903, namely: Francis, Nicholas, Alexander, George, and Walter – the first and third being the sons listed in the Cork Directory of 1787  – but in

addition, Betham  listed a sixth son William, and a daughter Mary – both being new to me ! I still have no info on William’s birth or death or of his parents.

JillWill 
    Participant

Hi Richard

You may find it useful to search the database of the Irish Genealogist here on this site, as I notice it does include some articles mentioning a William Fitton.  I have not read the articles so do not know whether these pertain to your relation, but at least it is worth checking, if you have not already done so.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

CONTACT US

We're not around right now. But you can send us an email and we'll get back to you, asap.

Sending

©2019 Irish Genealogical research Society Created by Smiling Spiders

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account